Ups and Downs is pleased to provide parents with this Parent Info Night – Back to School Edition. We will be hearing from a variety of professionals to get up to date and accurate information regarding what things might look like as the fall approaches. You can participate in this event either online through Zoom, or in person at St. Andrews Centre.
PLEASE NOTE: This Parent Info Night is not only for parents of children who are school aged. The information shared will be applicable to all parents who have children with Down syndrome and will help navigate what it might look like as we adjust to changing regulations.
While we cannot eliminate all COVID-19 risk, schools are implementing measures to minimize risk. We, at Ups and Downs, are here to help you navigate these measures.
Everyone has varying degrees of comfort when it comes to the conversation of adjusting our lives and creating a new normal due to the effects of COVID-19. This Parent Info Night, we will hear advice and thoughts from a Vice Principal, a nurse, and a mental health advocate. Following their presentations there will be an opportunity for Q&A.
You are welcome to join the evening via Zoom or in person at St. Andrew’s, where health measures will be taken. (Masks & hand sanitizer provided.)
School Advice – Chantal Petersen – Vice Principle
- In-school classes & at-home learning
- School health measures
Healthcare Advice – Savannah Koop – Registered Nurse
- COVID-19 update & overview
- Specific risks for the Down syndrome community
- Masks and hand hygiene to slow the spread
Speaker & Mental Health Advice – Connie Jakab – Author, speaker, and mental health advocate.
- Overall metal health and how to stay healthy when getting your family back into a new routine with school (whether it be in-school classes or at-home learning)
- Boundaries to take back your life so you’re not reacting to your kids, but responding to them.
- 3 keys to connection with your kids that rewire their brain for mental wellness and create resilience.
Q&A – Time for you to ask questions