Ups and Downs is a registered non-profit, volunteer-run organization for people with Down syndrome and their parents, families and friends. Founded in 1984 by a group of like-minded parents, Ups and Downs now provides a wide variety of services and personal involvement opportunities to the Calgary area and Southern Alberta.
A future where all individuals with Down syndrome and their families feel supported and connected in a community that fosters an environment of acceptance.
To be a vibrant family support group that enriches the lives of individuals with Down syndrome and their families by providing a network of resources, sharing common experiences, learning together, and creating awareness in the broader community.
- To provide an opportunity for the families of people with Down syndrome to come together on a regular basis to share experiences and exchange information.
- To advocate on behalf of people with Down syndrome for their rights as individuals.
- To promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome into our society, thereby allowing them to attain their maximum developmental potential.
- To gather and disseminate up-to-date information about Down syndrome to our membership, health care professionals, education professionals and the general public.
- To foster and maintain liaisons with other groups interested in improving the quality of life for individuals with Down syndrome.